About the Film
This classic, entertaining documentary on American traditional music features varied individuals and groups who have not become part of the “melting pot” of American society.
From front porch banjo pickers in Appalachia and the Bluegrass Festival circuit to Black children on the Carolina sea islands, cowboys, and Cheyenne and Comanche Indians, they have all retained their cultural identities despite pressures from the mass media and popular culture.
More About This Film
- John Cohen, “A Visitor’s Recollections"
- Films of John Cohen: Location of original negatives and out-takes
- Musical Holdouts Transcription
- Musical Holdouts - Review by Garry W. Barrow 1986
- Janie Hunter Bio - National Heritage Fellow
- John Cohen Biography
- John Cohen in Eastern Kentucky: Documentary Expression and the Image of Roscoe Halcomb During the Folk Revival
For licensing, film rights and permissions, contact John Cohen, the distributor, or Folkstreams.
Dance All Night - The Highwoods Stringband Story2018 | 1h 18mins
End of an Old Song1969 | 30mins
High Lonesome Sound1963 | 30mins
Miami Indian Powwow1998 | 26mins
Pizza Pizza Daddy-O1968 | 18mins
Gypsies Sing Long Ballads1982 | 28mins
Remembering The High Lonesome2003 | 27mins
Family Across the Sea1990 | 57mins
Everything Change Up Now1974 | 40mins