About the Film
New England Fiddles presents seven of the finest traditional musicians as they play in their homes and at dances and contests, passing their styles to younger fiddlers, and commenting on their music. Featured are Ron West (Yankee), Paddy Cronin (Irish), Ben Guillemette (Quebecois), Wilfred Guillette (Quebecois), Harold Luce (Yankee), Gerry Robichaud (Maritime), and the Cape Breton style of Joe Cormier. The film was made in 1983 by John Bishop and folklorist Nicholas Hawes.
New England Fiddles and its companion film New England Dances are part of a dvd release that includes an eight minute section of fiddle tunes by National Heritage Award winner Simon St. Pierre, eleven additional tunes from the out takes of New England Fiddles, and an interview with filmmaker John Bishop.
More About This Film
For licensing, film rights and permissions, contact John M. Bishop, the distributor Media_Generation, or Folkstreams.
- Lawrence Older: Adirondack Minstrel1976 | 20mins
- Fiddlers‘ Grove: A Celebration of Old Time1994 | 56mins
- Medicine Fiddle1991 | 1h 21mins
- From Shore to Shore1993 | 57mins
- Music Makers: Seamus Connolly and Friends1991 | 27mins
- Dance to the Music and Listen to the Calls1987 | 29mins
- Music for the Sky2008 | 1h
- Fiddlers of James Bay1980 | 28mins
- Sugar House2018 | 20mins
- Post Industrial Fiddle1982 | 23mins
- Floating Dancer2016 | 21mins