Video Aids to Film Preservation supplements existing
guides to film preservation (Guide to Film
Preservation) with video demonstrating basic
handling and restoration procedures for motion picture
film. A library of film clips offers instruction in
basic film handling and preservation techniques. Clips
are organized by title and by chapter headings in the
Guide to Film Preservation published by the National
Foundation for Film Preservation.
Disaster Planning and Recovery
- What are A and B rolls?
A and B Rolls 16-mm
- How to clean and project using the 8mm Bell & Howell Regent, Design 122, Model L projector?
The Bell & Howell Regent, Design 122, Model L 8mm Projector.
- How does the brake work on a small gauge video or audio cassette?
The brake on a small gauge video or audio cassette
- How to clean and use Craig editing kit?
The Craig Editing Kit
- How to use a 16mm Ciro Guillotine tape splicer?
Demonstration of a 16mm Ciro Guillotine tape splicer
- How to clean and change the bulb on Elmo Viewer?
The Elmo Viewer: cleaning and bulb change
- How to switch from super 8 to regular 8 in the Elmo Viewer?
The Elmo viewer: Switching gate settings on Elmo view to regular 8mm
- How do various rewinds work?
Festival of Rewinds
- How to clean and operate the Kodak Supermatic 30 projector?
The Kodak Supermatic 30 projector
- How to put a leader on a film using a 16mm Maier-Hancock hot splicer?
Putting new leader on an old family film using a 16mm Maier-Hancock hot splicer
- How to reassemle an 8mm videotape cassette?
Reassembling an 8mm videotape cassette
- How do you set up an editing table with rewinds?
Setting up Rewinds and Work Table
- How to splice audio full coat tape with the Guillotine splicer?
Splicing 16mm magnetic full coat with a Ciro Guillotine splicer
- How do you splice 16mm audio magnetic full coat?
Splicing 16mm magnetic full coat with splicing block and razor<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mcbpaRKzT9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- How do you splice new leader to a shrunken 16mm film, part 1?
Splicing leader to shrunken 16mm film, Part 1
- How do you splice new leader to a shrunken 16mm film part 2?
Splicing leader to shrunken 16mm film, Part 2
- How do you splice new leader to a shrunken 16mm film part 3?
Splicing leader to shrunken 16mm film, Part 3
- How to take an 8mm video tape cassette apart?
Taking an 8mm videotape cassette apart
- How to wind wet film onto a core?
Tips on winding film
- How to use the 16mm Maier-Hancock hot or cement splicer?
Using the 16mm Maier-Hancock hot or cement splicer
- How to use a wet gate optical printer, 16mm?
Wet gate optical printer, 16mm
Contribute to the project.
If you or your business work with film on regular basis and want to contribute
video clips or instructional content to our site, contact us.
In addition to the short video clips, we are presenting
several industrial films made about film restoration.
These films were made by professional film laboratories
and demonstrate procedures that are beyond the
abilities of most archivists, collectors, and amateurs.
However, we feel you will find them enjoyable and
useful. They present useful information about basic
film handling and preservation techniques, and give you
an overall understanding of the film restoration